Ben's never coming home


Hi! My name is Ben and I'm currently studying graphic design in Bray Institute of Further Education. I had an enjoyable first year of my course and I can't begin to describe how excited I am for my upcoming trip to Málaga in May. I'm so incredibly lucky to have this opportunity and I promise that the most will be made of it. 

In my spare time away from assignments and part time work, I am most likely watching football. I'm probably the biggest Liverpool fan that I know of, so they take up quite a bit of my time! My father and brothers are also fans so it is nice to watch matches with them together. I love the outdoors and nature, so I love going on walks with my mother or my dog and taking it all in. I like to draw as well, so my graphic design course allows me to practice this hobby more. Last but not least, I adore travelling and seeing the world so my impending Erasmus trip is the perfect excuse to do something that I love!

In the future I want to be able to look back on this trip with no regrets. I want to feel that I made the absolute most of my stay and to have made memories to last my entire life. Hopefully my work placement provides me with invaluable experience for my future career going forward.


I arrived in Málaga around 1600pm after a safe flight. It was my first time leaving the country in almost 5 years, so I was beaming with excitement as one can imagine. A coach brought us to our accommodation and I settled down in my new home for the next three weeks. It was going to be interesting living in a one bedroom apartment with both Luke and Graham, but the tight living quarters won't dampen my attitude towards what lay ahead.  For our first evening in Málaga, the group and I enjoyed some tapas and a drink at a nearby bar at Plaza de la Merced. We had a brief stroll by the marina before heading to bed for a 1030am start the next morning.

                                                    



My first full day in Málaga was busy to say the least. We began by attending an induction meeting hosted by Ricard, Miguel and Sara. They were extremely helpful and informative. I left there feeling very reassured and confident about my upcoming placement. Miguel then brought Isobel, Katie-Louise and myself to where our work placements are based. It was great to be shown where we are going to familiarize ourselves with what will be our new surroundings. I also got to meet Lorena for the first time, who works at Mandala Impresiones, our work placement for the next three weeks. Lorena was very friendly and eager to help us. 

I had some time to do a bit of shopping and relax until 1700pm, when we were lucky enough to have a walking tour of the city of Málaga. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Seeing what Málaga has to offer such as Calle Marqués de Larios, Alcazaba and Cathedral de la Encarnación de Málaga. I was fascinated by how close by everything was. Málaga is a very walkable city, which is fantastic. 

In the evening, Sarah booked us in for a meal at a restaurant by the marina. We were spoiled for choice in regards to what the menu offered. There was Argentine, Greek, Italian, Indian and Mexican food to choose from. I had a gorgeous chicken curry from the Indian menu as the sunset behind me over the water. A lovely evening was had.







I was up bright and early for my first full day of my internship at Mandala Impresiones. Lorena showed us to where we would be working, which was upstairs above the shop floor. Isobel and I had a desk each and we even had a coffee machine nearby which was well received! Lorena ran through some of her processes such as printing designs onto mugs, t-shirts and bags. It shocked me how quickly and easily one could print a design onto something. Plenty of heat and pressure from an iron was enough to press a design/text from transfer paper onto whatever one was printing it onto. The shop was busy that morning which was great to see. There are some art colleges nearby so students regular Mandala for their printing needs. 

In the evening, a walk up a hill for some spectacular views of Málaga was organized for us. While it was quite a steep hike, to say that the views were worth it would be an understatement. As we got higher and higher, more and more of Málaga became visible. Possibly my favourite part of the week so far was seeing this little cat having a nap on one of the viewpoints. 







We also were asked to design some business cards for Mandala Impresiones. I enjoy coming up with designs for various brands so these activities were enjoyed. It would be such great experience for Isobel and I too, as we are getting our first taste of working with a real client.

In the afternoon I went to the beach for the first time. The factor 50 was piled on as the last thing I want is to get burnt from the hot Málaga sun. I had a dip in the beautiful, cool sea for the first time since I can remember. I'm not much of a beach person but I'm slowly trying to get out of my comfort zone during my time here and so far I've had a terrific time. 

In the evening, we played some volleyball. We played with another group of Erasmus students and while I was on the winning side more often than not, I think I'll stick to football! 

 




In all honesty, I was exhausted after that busy week! I had a chilled out afternoon/evening on Friday. I ate in and had an early night as I was to wake up early to be ready by 8h45 for a trip to the beautiful city of Granada the following morning. 

First thing Saturday morning we loaded into the coach for our 90 minute journey from Plaza de la Merced. The journey was scenic, passing by some spectacular mountains and views. We arrived at the superb Islamic fortress complex of Alhambra. It stands as one of the best preserved pieces of the historical Islamic world, with some stunning architecture. 

We then walked to Granada and had a wonderful meal in a restaurant in the centre. I think the food was Moroccan but wherever it was from it was delicious and the best meal I've had so far. Alba from EuropeanEra brought us for a hike up some winding streets of Granada to an incredible viewpoint. We could see Alhambra that we had just been to along with some snowy mountains and an immaculate panoramic view of Granada. Even though it was 30 degrees Celsius and the hike was a tough ask in such conditions (for myself at least) the views were worth it and then some.

On returning to Málaga, I tuned into the FA Cup final between Chelsea and Liverpool in my apartment on a stream from my laptop. There wasn't a chance I'd miss it! It was 0-0 throughout 120 minutes and so a penalty shootout was needed to decide the winner. I watched with hands over my eyes and to my relief Liverpool won. I had a couple of drinks with some of the group to celebrate. The streets were lively of a Saturday night which was great to see. Everyone got home safe and sound and I slept off a long and busy day.








I'll admit to having a lie-in on Sunday morning to catch up on some sleep after a frantic week. I went to the beach for a couple of hours, naturally finding the shadiest spot that I could. The sea was so refreshing. We lazed about for a couple of hours, enjoying our free day.

Sarah organized a dinner in a restaurant called 'No Piqui'. It was her last night in Málaga before flying back to Ireland, so it was lovely to share a meal for the evening. I enjoyed an amazing spicy pizza which was just the fill I needed. An early night was in order for the week ahead. Week 1 down, 2 to go.



A new week began and it was back to work for Isobel and I in Mandala. We were still working on wine menus for a client. We had some changes to make as per their request but that is all part and parcel of the graphic design industry. We also printed some designs on a t-shirt and a mug. I was getting used to things now after a couple days of experience.



I had a more chilled out couple of days during my second week of my stay which allowed me to recharge after what was such a hectic but unforgettable first week. On Tuesday evening I naturally found time to watch a Liverpool match and on Wednesday I went to Museo Picasso Málaga. It was free entry as it was International Museum Day! I took the amazing opportunity to see the beautiful madness that was Picasso's collections of work.





On Thursday after work Lorena organized for Isobel and I to be shown around a nearby art college, which we were so grateful for. It was such a cool college and it was great to see what it would be like to study abroad. 






On Saturday the 21st, we went on another trip. We first arrived at the stunning mountain town of Frigiliana. After some breakfast, we couldn't resist the urge to take a ride on a small train that took people on a tour around the village. It was great craic! 

After that, it was off to Nerja. It was a very picturesque town as we walked through it towards the famed beaches. The beach was beautiful. The waves were quite fierce, one had to be careful not to get knocked over. There wasn't much shade to speak of on the beach so it didn't suit someone as pale as me in all honesty! After a couple of hours of another great day out, we headed home for a well needed rest.






The final few days approached fast. On Wednesday, we were lucky enough to be brought on a boat trip out into Málaga's bay. Incredibly, it was also my birthday! The boat trip was amazing. The views of the city from out in the sea, the ocean breeze, the sun and sea was all a surreal experience. It was one of the highlights of the mobility for sure. 
And with that, a couple more days went by and we were on the way back home to Dublin. I can safely say that this mobility was the best trip abroad that I've ever been on. I felt that I grew as a person and a professional through the placement, activities and responsibilities I took part in/was handed. I can't recommend it to someone highly enough. Málaga is a beautiful city and the memories I had will last a lifetime. Gracias Erasmus+ 🇪🇦

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Graham didn’t get burnt!

My "malagueña" experience by Maria Moreno

🇪🇸 Romi en Málaga 🇪🇸